It’s no secret that the appearance of commercial signage is one of the most important ways to create a lasting impression on your target audience. With the right typography, you can create a unique and impactful message that resonates with customers and encourages them to take action.
What is Typography
Typography is the art and technique of arranging type to make written language legible, readable, and appealing when displayed. In simple terms, typography refers to the style and arrangement of text in design. Typography is important in creating visual interest and conveying a message effectively.
Good typography in commercial signage helps to catch the audience’s attention, communicates your brand message, and gives your brand a unique identity. Typography is used in various mediums like brochures, banners, posters, billboards, and social media graphics. It involves selecting fonts, arranging text, and choosing appropriate spacing, line heights, and contrast.
The Do’s of Typography
Typography is an essential element in creating effective commercial signage that captures the attention of your target audience. Using typography can make your sign stand out and effectively communicate your message. Here are some essential do’s of typography to consider:
- Use Appropriate Fonts: When creating commercial signage, it is essential to use appropriate fonts that match the theme and purpose of your business. Avoid using multiple fonts, and ensure that the selected fonts are legible from a distance. You can combine serif and sans-serif fonts to achieve a good balance.
- Consider Size: When designing your commercial signage, the size of the text is crucial to its effectiveness. The text must be large enough to be visible from a distance, and the size should vary depending on the importance of the message. For example, the name of your business should be larger than the tagline.
- Choose the Right Color: Color plays a vital role in attracting attention and communicating your brand message. Choose colors that reflect the personality of your business and match your branding. Ensure that the color contrast between the text and the background is sufficient to make the text easy to read.
- Consistency is Key: Consistency is crucial when designing your commercial signage. Use the same typography across all marketing materials, including business cards, brochures, and flyers. This will help create a cohesive and professional brand image.
- Focus on Legibility: Your commercial signage should be legible, even from a distance. Avoid using cursive or decorative fonts that are challenging to read. Ensure that the font style and size are clear and easy for your target audience to read.
Getting Professional Help
While having a basic understanding of typography is important, it’s equally important to acknowledge that not everyone is an expert. To ensure that your commercial signage typography is visually appealing and effective, you want to seek professional help.
Professional designers have the skills and expertise to create a visually pleasing and legible sign. They can help you to choose the right fonts, colors, and spacing, which can greatly enhance the impact of your signage. They also have a keen eye for detail, which can help catch common typography mistakes before they make it to your final product.
Hiring a professional may seem unnecessary, but it’s worth it if you want your commercial signage to stand out and attract potential customers. A well-designed and professionally executed sign can greatly increase your chances of success and set you apart from your competitors. Reach out to us today at Atchley Signs and Graphics!